Nguyen, Manh Cuong
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ames Laboratory, US DOE
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Email: mcnguyen (at) ameslab.gov
* 2010: Ph.D. in Physics, Seoul National University
* 2003: B.S. in Physics, Hanoi National University of Education
* Postdoctoral Research Associate at Ames Laboratory, US DOE (2010 ~ now)
* Professor Assistant in the Faculty of Physics at Hanoi National University of Education (2003 - 2005)
* Ames Laboratory Inventor Incentive Award, Ames Laboratory, US DOE (2013)
* Graduate Student Research Award, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Seoul National University (2010)
* "Kawazoe Best Poster Award" in Recognition of Outstanding Poster Paper in The 5th Conference of The Asian Consortium on Computational Materials Science (ACCMS-5) (2009)
* "Rencontres du Vietnam" scholarship for excellent researchers, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (2004)
* Excellent Valedictorian Medal, Hanoi city (2003)
* Excellent degree for B. S. degree from Hanoi National University of Education (2003)
* 1st Prize Team in The National Physical Olympiad for Students, Vietnam (2001)
* Session Chair (Session M31) at APS March Meeting 2014, Denver, CO, USA
* Referee for JPhysD, CompMatSci, PhysicaB, ...
* First-principles study of hydrogen storage in metal atom decorated nanomaterials
* Develop adaptive genetic algorithm for solving and predicting crystal structures of bulk solids, surfaces and interfaces "from scratch" or with experimental data such as XRD or TEM
* Discovery and design new structures of metal alloys, oxides and covalent materials for energy application
* First-principles study of magnetism and magnetic materials
20. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"New sp3-hybridized Framework Structure of Group 14 Elements by Genetic Algorithm"
19. Xin Zhao, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Interface structure prediction from first-principles"
J. Phys. Chem. C, accepted [Link]>
18. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"New Be-intercalated Hexagonal Boron Layers Structure of BeB2"
RSC Adv. 4, 15061 (2014) [Link]>
17. Xin Zhao, Manh Cuong Nguyen, W. Y. Zhang, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Matthew J. Kramer, David J. Sellmayer, X. Z. Li, Feng Zhang, Liqin Ke, Vladimir P. Antropov, and Kai-Ming Ho
"Exploring the Structural Complexity of Intermetallic Compounds by an Adaptive Genetic Algorithm"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 045502 (2014) [Link]>
16. Bui Duc Tinh, Le Minh Thu, Le Viet Hoa, and Nguyen Manh Cuong,
"Fluctuation Hall Conductivity Beyond Linear Response in Layered Superconductors Under a Magnetic Field "
J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. 27, 359 (2014) [Link]>
15. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Yangang Wang, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Genetic Algorithm Prediction of Crystal Structure of Metastable Si-IX Phase"
Solid State Commun. 182, 14-16 (2014) [Link]>
14. Shunqin Wu, Min Ji, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Koichiro Umemoto, Renata Wentzcovitch, and Kai-Ming Ho
"Adaptive Genetic Algorithm for Crystal Structure Prediction"
J. Phys.:Condens. Matter 26, 035402 (2014) [Link]>
13. Xin Zhao, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Structures and Stability of Alkaline Earth Metal Peroxides XO2 (X=Ca, Be, Mg) Studied by a Genetic Algorithm"
RSC Adv. 3, 22135 (2013) [Link]>
12. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Jinho Choi, Xin Zhao, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Zhenyu Zhang and Kai-Ming Ho
"New layered structures of cuprous chalcogenides as thin film solar cell materials: Cu2Te and Cu2Se"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 165502 (2013) [Link]>
11. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Liqin Ke, Xin Zhao, Vladimir Antropov, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Atomic Structure and Magnetic Properties of HfCo7 Alloy "
IEEE Trans. Mag. 49, 3281 (2013) [Link]>
10. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Min Ji, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Bruce Harmon and Kai-Ming Ho
"Atomic Structure and Magnetic Properties of Fe1-xCox Alloys"
J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07E338 (2012) [Link]>
9. Moon-Hyun Cha, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Keunsu Choi, Minsung Kim and Jisoon Ihm
"Simultaneous description of strong and weak H2 adsorption sites coexisting in MOFS"
Nano (2011) [Link]
8. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Jaehyun Bae, Youngkuk Kim, Minsung Kim and Jisoon Ihm
"Calcium-doped, hydroxylated single-walled carbon nanotubes for hydrogen storage: a first-principle study"
ChemPhysChem 12, 777 (2011) [Link]
7. Moon-Hyun Cha, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Yealee Lee, Jino Im and Jisoon Ihm
"Iron-Decorated, Functionalized Metal Organic Framework for High-Capacity Hydrogen Storage: First-Principles Calculations"
J. Phys. Chem. C 114, 14276 (2010) [Link]
6. Xiaolong Zou, Moon-Hyun Cha, Seungchul Kim, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Gang Zhou, Weihui Duan and Jisoon Ihm
"Hydrogen storage in Ca-decorated, B-substituted metal organic framework"
Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 35, 198-203 (2009) [Link]
5. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Keunsu Choi, Yealee Lee and Jisoon Ihm
"Calcium-hydroxyl group complex for potential hydrogen storage media: A density functional theory study"
Phys. Rev. B 79, 233408 (2009) [Link]     selected for Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research, Volume 18, Issue 1 [Link]
4. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Hoonkyung Lee and Jisoon Ihm
"Hydrogen storage using functionalized saturated hydrocarbons"
Solid State Commun. 147, 419-422 (2008) [Link]
3. Hoonkyung Lee, Manh Cuong Nguyen and Jisoon Ihm
"Titanium-functional group complexes for high-capacity hydrogen storage materials"
Solid State Commun. 146, 431-434 (2008) [Link]
2. Hoonkyung Lee, Woon Ih Choi, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Eungook Moon and Jisoon Ihm
"Ab initio study of dihydrogen binding in metal-decorated polyacetylene for hydrogen storage"
Phys. Rev. B 73, 195110 (2007) [Link]
1. Nguyen Manh Cuong and Nguyen Ai Viet
"The binding energy of exciton in semiconductor carbon nanotubes"
Communication in Physics, Vol. 14, No. 4, p. 197-201 (2004) [Link]
* APS March Meeting 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013
* The 9th Asia Pacific Physics Conference, Hanoi Oct 25-31 2004
* Executive Board Member of Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea (2007 - 2008)
* Iowa Games, Badminton Men's Double winner (2012, 2013)
* Men's doubles runner-up (Class B) at Iowa State University Badminton Open Tournament (2012)
* Mixed doubles winner (Class B) at Iowa State University Badminton Open Tournament (2011, 2012)
* Mixed doubles winner in badminton at Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea Sport Festival III (2010)
* Men doubles runner-up in badminton at Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea Sport Festival III (2010)
* On my hometown newspaper (2007) [Link]
* The Champion of "Table Soccer Festival" in Sungkyungkwan University (2006)