Nguyen, Manh Cuong
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ames Laboratory, US DOE
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
* 2010: Ph.D. in Physics, Seoul National University
* 2003: B.S. in Physics, Hanoi National University of Education
* Postdoctoral Research Associate at Ames Lab (2010 ~) (advisor: Kai-Ming Ho)
* Professor Assistant in the Faculty of Physics at Hanoi National University of Education (2003 - 2005)
* Ames Laboratory Inventor Incentive Award, Ames Laboratory, US DOS (2013)
* Graduate Student Research Award, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Seoul National University (2010)
* "Kawazoe Best Poster Award" in Recognition of Outstanding Poster Paper in The 5th Conference of The Asian Consortium on Computational Materials Science (ACCMS-5) (2009)
* "Rencontres du Vietnam" scholarship for excellent researchers (2004)
* Excellent Valedictorian Medal (2003)
* Excellent degree for B.S degree from Hanoi National University of Education (2003)
* 1st Prize Team in The National Physical Olympiad for Students (2001)
* "Rencontres du Vietnam" scholarship for excellent students (2000)
* Scholarship for excellent students in High quality class system (1999 ~ 2003)
* Excellent degree for high school graduation (1999)
* Encouraging prize in The National Competition on Physics for high school students (1999)
* Genetic algorithm in searching for new materials
* First-principles approach to hydrogen storage
* Transport properties of nanoscale materials
* General physics problems
16. Shunqin Wu, Min Ji, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Koichiro Umemoto, Renata Wentzcovitch, and Kai-Ming Ho
"Adaptive Genetic Algorithm for Crystal Structure Prediction"
15. X. Zhao, M. C. Nguyen, W. Y. Zhang, C. Z. Wang, M. J. Kramer, D. J. Sellmayer, X. Z. Li, F. Zhang, L. Q. Ke, V. P. Antropov, and K. M. Ho
"Unraveling the Structural Mystery of Complex Intermetallic Compounds by an Adaptive Genetic Algorithm approach"
14. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Jinho Choi, Xin Zhao, Cai-Zhuang Wang Zhenyu Zhang and Kai-Ming Ho
"New layered structures of cuprous chalcogenides as thin film solar cell materials: Cu2Te and Cu2Se"
Phys. Rev. Lett., accepted [Link]>
13. Xin Zhao, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Structures and Stability of Alkaline Earth Metal Peroxides XO2 (X=Ca, Be, Mg) Studied by Genetic Algorithm"
RSC Advances, accepted [Link]>
12. Bui Duc Tinh, Le Minh Thu, Le Viet Hoa, and Nguyen Manh Cuong,
"Fluctuation Hall Conductivity Beyond Linear Response in Layered Superconductors Under a Magnetic Field "
J. Supercond. Nov. Magn., accepted [Link]>
11. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Liqin Ke, Xin Zhao, Vladimir Antropov, Cai-Zhuang Wang and Kai-Ming Ho
"Atomic Structure and Magnetic Properties of HfCo7 Alloy "
IEEE Trans. Mag., 49, 3281 (2013) [Link]>
10. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Xin Zhao, Min Ji, Cai-Zhuang Wang, Bruce Harmon and Kai-Ming Ho
"Atomic Structure and Magnetic Properties of Fe1-xCox Alloys"
J. Appl. Phys., 111, 07E338 (2012) [Link]>
9. Moon-Hyun Cha, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Keunsu Choi, Minsung Kim and Jisoon Ihm
"Simultaneous description of strong and weak H2 adsorption sites coexisting in MOFS"
Nano (2011) [Link]
8. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Jaehyun Bae, Youngkuk Kim, Minsung Kim and Jisoon Ihm
"Calcium-doped, hydroxylated single-walled carbon nanotubes for hydrogen storage: a first-principle study"
ChemPhysChem, 12, 777 (2011) [Link]
7. Moon-Hyun Cha, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Yealee Lee, Jino Im and Jisoon Ihm
"Iron-Decorated, Functionalized Metal Organic Framework for High-Capacity Hydrogen Storage: First-Principles Calculations"
J. Phys. Chem. C, 114, 14276 (2010) [Link]
6. Xiaolong Zou, Moon-Hyun Cha, Seungchul Kim, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Gang Zhou, Weihui Duan and Jisoon Ihm
"Hydrogen storage in Ca-decorated, B-substituted metal organic framework"
International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 35, 198-203 (2009) [Link]
5. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Keunsu Choi, Yealee Lee and Jisoon Ihm
"Calcium-hydroxyl group complex for potential hydrogen storage media: A density functional theory study"
Phys. Rev. B 79, 233408 (2009) [Link]     selected for Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research, Volume 18, Issue 1 [Link]
4. Manh Cuong Nguyen, Hoonkyung Lee and Jisoon Ihm
"Hydrogen storage using functionalized saturated hydrocarbons"
Solid State Communications 147, 419-422 (2008) [Link]
3. Hoonkyung Lee, Manh Cuong Nguyen and Jisoon Ihm
"Titanium-functional group complexes for high-capacity hydrogen storage materials"
Solid State Communications 146, 431-434 (2008) [Link]
2. Hoonkyung Lee, Woon Ih Choi, Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-Hyun Cha, Eungook Moon and Jisoon Ihm
"Ab initio study of dihydrogen binding in metal-decorated polyacetylene for hydrogen storage"
Phys. Rev. B 73, 195110 (2007) [Link]
1. Nguyen Manh Cuong and Nguyen Ai Viet
"The binding energy of exciton in semiconductor carbon nanotubes"
Communication in Physics, Vol. 14, No. 4, p. 197-201 (2004) [Link]
* Manh Cuong Nguyen, Moon-hyun Cha and Jisoon Ihm, Hydroxyl group-Calcium complex for hydrogen storage media, APS March Meeting, Portland, Oregon Mar 15-19 2010
* Manh Cuong Nguyen and Jisoon Ihm, Ab-initio study of hydrogen storage of Titanium-decorated organic systems with hydroxyl groups, APS March Meeting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Mar 16-20 2009
* Manh Cuong Nguyen and Ai Viet Nguyen, The binding energy of exiton in semiconductor carbon nanotubes (k.p method), The 9th Asia Pacific Physics Conference, Hanoi Oct 25-31 2004
* Iowa Games, Badminton Men's Double winner (2012, 2013)
* Men's doubles runner-up (Class B) at Iowa State University Badminton Open Tournament (2012)
* Mixed doubles winner (Class B) at Iowa State University Badminton Open Tournament (2011, 2012)
* Mixed doubles winner in badminton at Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea Sport Festival III (2010)
* Men doubles runner-up in badminton at Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea Sport Festival III (2010)
* Executive Board Member of Vietnamese Students' Association in Korea (2007 - 2008)
* On my hometown newspaper (2007) [Link]
* The Champion of "Table Soccer Festival" in Sungkyungkwan University (2006)